Thursday, March 22, 2007

Carson and pilgrim's progress

While I was teaching a few students last night, Nathan and his friend Asa were watching the kids, and had stopped to get a kids movie from the christian book store on the way home. They got a pilgrim's progress cartoon.
The kids were very attentive (from what I could tell in the next room that is) and sure enough, as soon as Carson was alone with me he asked in a strange voice:
"mommy, are we going to hell?"
I wasn't quite sure what to say at first, so I paused for a second, and heard his little voice again:
"Did you hear me? I said, are we going to go to hell?"
so I thought for a minute and figured that he at the ripe age of 3 might as well hear the biblical truth of the matter. so I said, "well, Carson, the Bible tells us that we are born separated from God, and if we don't do anything about it then yes, we are going to go to hell."
"Oh." Carson said.
I thought I should finish the story though, and kept going. "We need to have a change happen in us if we are going to be in God's family, we have to love God more than anything, and want to do what God wants us to do. So if we have God as our father, we will obey him. and if we are in his family, we will go to heaven, not to hell. Because Jesus took our spanking when he died for us."
"well," Carson said, "I love God, sooo..."
"and God loves you, and so do I. good night" I said, kissed him and put him to bed. I hope he keeps up this inquisitiveness, and I hope that I have the right words to tell him biblical truths as he is ready to hear them, its a lot harder than I thought it would be putting things in 3 year old terms!!

No comments: