Monday, July 23, 2007

who do you follow?

a friend has recently inspired me to take a closer look at the methods of child-rearing that we all approach, and that in turn has brought me to think of how that relates to the rest of my life in general. What is the final authority in my life? what would it take for me to back down from a topic that I believe to be right? whose opinion is the most important to me?
This is a question that everyone answers in their own lives- whether realizing it or not.
Honestly, for most of my life I have looked to others for advice- my parents, friends etc. This in itself is not a bad thing- even biblical, to look for counsel from someone you believe to be wise. The reason that I am now looking back and regretting is that I didn't even involve God in decisions at all. I thought I did, because I would pray and ask "what do you think God?" in whichever way it was stated at the time. But I never searched the scriptures to see what God himself could have there for me. and honestly, what other way has God freely provided us with? Yes, he speaks to us in a still small voice, but how are we to hear that voice if we haven't hidden his word in our hearts that we might not sin against, and be separated from Him?
So, all of this to get on to the subject that I sat down to write about- who has the precedence in my life? do I still look exclusively to others for guidance? have those people just changed to new people that I am surrounded by? or am I actually placing my faith and my life in the hands of an almighty God that knows so much more than I can fathom... but sometimes can't figure out?? how exactly am I to know what God has for me as a mother, a wife, and a woman of God?
I think the answer comes in finding the correct view of God. I believe that we must come to God with a view of him, and how we can worship as HE wants, how we can live as HE would require, and the rest will fall into the correct order. When we get into petty arguments about things that the Bible is not completely clear on, we must learn to find the character of God, what it is HE would have for us in that situation. I think when we come to a situation and try to find scripture to back up our side of the argument we have lost already. God has blessed us with His Word to guide, and we need to read deeply and fellowship closely with him in order that HE would guide the "little" decisions. There will always be differences of opinions when it comes to interpreting the Bible. Thats okay! As long as we are seeking Gods face, his way for us, and not trying to fit Him into our lives so that it works out how WE were hoping, we will find the right way.
I encourage you to seek the scriptures, search your own heart- make sure your own calling and salvation! We have all been lulled into a lethargic spirituality- it is probably the worst thing that could happen to the church... so many people have a false sense of security in their salvation because they prayed a prayer... BEWARE! if there is no change in the life, there has not been a change in heart. Call out to God, test yourself to see if you are one of His own. Are you sensitive to sin? do you forsake and turn from that sin when you are confronted with it?
There is probably much more to come on this subject- one I have just begun to understand!

No comments: